Saturday, April 25, 2015

About This Blog and Me

My Books

I am literature obsessed. It's more than an obsession, it's a disease. Books run my life and I will read anything I can get my hands on. Lately, I have been on a Jason Myers kick, but I have an appreciation for everything. If I could, I would go back in time, live among the authors of the Lost Generation, and seduce F. Scott away from Zelda.

Books on my list of all-time favorites:

The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp
This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Secret History by Donna Tartt (I like this one so much, I got a tattoo inspired by it.)
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

A few of my (most recently read) favorites:

Like Water For Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
The Mission by Jason Myers
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Vein Fire by Lucia Adams

As you can see, I have a soft spot for fiction. Fiction, however, is not the only thing I read. I thoroughly enjoy poetry. Drama is high on my list, but I would rather see the play. I find memoirs enjoyable. I always have a graphic novel going. I love books about feminism and cultures and social sciences. Give me a genre and I will give you a title I like.

My Running

Five years ago, I broke my back falling down some stairs. I was told that I would probably always have back pain and that I probably wouldn't be able to do exercises that would be hard on my back. A few months ago, I decided I was going to prove them wrong and I ran a 15k. Now I am training for a half marathon. One of these days, I am hoping to join 1% of the population and complete a full marathon.

                                (My 15k. I am on the left and my sister is next to me)

My next run will be in the Avenue of the Giants. After that, I am going to take it easy for a while, really focus on strength training, do a few 5ks and start training for Disney's Rebel Challenge, which is in January 2016.

Also, while I run, I contribute to my bookishness by listening to books on tape.

My Other Interests

I love going to the theater. Oregon Shakespeare Festival is my favorite vacation destination. It's a gorgeous town and the plays are never a let down. Ashland is a truly amazing place and I think everyone needs to go there at least once in their life.

I studied English in the wonderful town of Chico. While there, I overachieved and ran an honors society, taught English classes, maintained a good GPA, graduated with honors, took the maximum amount of units I could take per semester, competed in Speech and Debate, and graduated on time. I'm still not sure how.


After that, I wasn't sure what to do with my life, so, I hopped on a plane to Spain and taught English for a year. When I came back, I became a legal assistant at a wonderful law firm. It is a field that I never thought I would get into. I stumbled in it when I was lost and I am glad I did.

I love trivia and knitting. I like optimistic quotes. I am a feminist who believes in equal rights for everyone and I hope to see a day when this country doesn't discriminate against people. I write things. Poetry. Fiction. Trying my hand at blogging.

I would love for you to share my journey with me through blogging, reading, and running, so, follow me.

Thank you and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment